Friday, November 29, 2013

Summer Wine

Stumble Twitter Digg This
B & I fell in love with Napa - the landscapes, the food, the ambiance:



The kids, for the most part, graciously humored us through the wineries and associated tastings.




However coming up to the second day of wine tours, we knew the the kids had hit their limit when they started creating videos blowing up the wineries, Tarentino-style, while we were posing for what we believed were memorable pictures.


Thus concluded the wine-tasting segment and we headed out again - this time, to the remote northern corner of Bodega Bay.

Here the vastness of California’s beaches made me recall how summers are a time to be wild and free:


They made me want to believe we could all be wild and free.














They made me contemplate why I stingily allocate only a few days or, at most, a few weeks to run with abandon through warm sand to the sudsy surf of the ocean.


When I was out on these beaches, I could understand the old tales of sirens of the sea and their allure.

Not a siren !
  I could appreciate my smallness in almost every facet to the largely unknown world spread before me.


   On these remote, untamed, un-groomed  beaches, I was able to more fully appreciate life.






I am quite aware that the majority of constraints of daily life that bind me to a regimen are only imposed by me. Which is annoying to admit and even lamer to be aware of and do nothing about. It is simultaneously a complex debate of weight and responsibility versus freedom and appreciation.



A desire to be centered to my core is getting undeniably stronger. The voice to leave the carved path is shouting for change.

do believe there is a way to do it all, have it all, be it all. Being free to explore the world, at leisure, takes preparation and if you sprinkle in a little luck, you get to experience it with those you love.


I am sure it will be a little messy at times
Happy drool mixed with sand from sliding down a hill!
 and  I may find myself discarding items, previously believed as essentials, along the way:


But I, for one, can appreciate a Michelin starred meal all the better while dusting off from the days adventures.

Cleaning sand out of his ears at Auberge du Soleil
Yes, I may have had a little too much summer wine while writing this post.

p.s We made it!The Ting's finally flying his kite on the beach!












.











1 comment:

Kavita Ramesh Parekh said...

Love! Your boys (all 3) are lucky ones!