|
|
|
|
|
"Konnichiwa, two tuna tataki, an octopus and a lemonade please. Arigato.” That is a direct quote from the Tings. Tingu loves sashimi.
Naively, B and I were excited to see if the kids would love sushi as much as we do. We didn’t realize what we were creating. Tings wakes up with a spring in his step when he knows it is sushi night. The waitresses at the Japanese restaurant we frequent are desperate to put him on youtube. We could lease a nice car for the same cost as our sushi bill over the last month.
For being such an animal enthusiast, surprisingly Tingu is quite the carnivore. He explains his way out of this by discussing the ‘Circle of life’ (Go Disney). He shows little remorse for the gazelle being drowned by a crocodile, but displays high degrees of empathy for the workers at Publix who may lose their jobs due to the new super Kroger marketplace that was built across the street. When T & I are together we two bleeding hearts support Publix.
And based on the Tingu’s consumption rates, I think we make a impactful contribution to their bottom lines. I have heard stories from my Dad of how he ate 22 rotlis at one sitting and at 15, Tingu’s Uncle T, could polish off a 64oz T-bone with appetizers, sides, dessert and a whiskey. These family traits have both filtered through in a very dominant fashion on the Tingu.
He can easily eat an adult size portion of pasta, then a fruit, share a yogurt with Huns, have a popsicle, and finish off with a jam sandwich and a few glasses of milk. It is incredible and slightly worrying. Many things about the suburbs started to make sense after I had children. I have just reached the suburban enlightenment stage where I understand the beauty of a buffet. Not saying you will convince me to have a meal at the Golden Corral but I can understand the premise of that franchise.
Hunie on the other hand – well let’s say his new official nickname is “Snacks”. He highly prefers grazing to actual meals. The anthesis of French parenting but since I married an Englishman, I think that is considered all good. As for the Indian side, the motto is any food is good food – even when it is florescent orange, fried sugar (yum, Galabi!)
Even Tingu’s new fish ‘Guppy’, is a voracious eater, chomping away at everything. Hunie’s fish, 'Other Guppy' was not.
Other Guppy I believe suffered a massive heart attack when I was making a particularly delicious version of Eaton Mess. Like his owner, he did not like the hand mixer and sadly, while we ate our dessert and drank our wines, Other Guppy, or Og as I called him, died. ‘He’ was actually a ‘she' but the boys were adamant on getting male fish which were ironically three times more expensive, so they unknowingly have girls.
Anyway, Nature-boy Tings, found Og dead the evening of the dinner party and without much ado, flushed him (her) away. It was a far cry from a Cosby-show fish funeral. This was all in stride for the Tings and his circle of life business but I did ask T to hold off on breaking the news to Hunie, who was asleep by this time.
The next morning, as Hunie was barely down the stairs, Tingu ran up to him and shouted ‘Other Guppy is dead!’.
Huns just looked at him with big eyes and Tingu showed him (rather excitedly) how he and B flushed him down the toilet. Still the Hunie was uncharacteristically quiet. Tingu added that he might not actually be dead but that like Nemo he faked it to escape and be with his Daddy. Huh, nice touch, Tingu.
Hunie still said nothing, shrugged his shoulders as he left the bathroom and inquired what was for breakfast. That was the end of that for little Mr. Snacks.
I shouldn’t be that surprised as really Hunie was not interested in getting fish – he had his heart set on a duck or elephant. He was quite annoyed to find the pet store carried neither, but his Maashi then showed him rescue puppies. Hunie LOVED the puppies.
And has since continued his love affair with dogs. He pets random dogs. He asks me to pet random dogs with him. He loves chasing little puppies around a house. He pretends to be the character of the dog in his books. It is all really very cute…. and nice that he will have a puppy….. in Asia…..at his Mashi & Masa’s house. Who knows... they may throw in a peacock too.
Naively, B and I were excited to see if the kids would love sushi as much as we do. We didn’t realize what we were creating. Tings wakes up with a spring in his step when he knows it is sushi night. The waitresses at the Japanese restaurant we frequent are desperate to put him on youtube. We could lease a nice car for the same cost as our sushi bill over the last month.
For being such an animal enthusiast, surprisingly Tingu is quite the carnivore. He explains his way out of this by discussing the ‘Circle of life’ (Go Disney). He shows little remorse for the gazelle being drowned by a crocodile, but displays high degrees of empathy for the workers at Publix who may lose their jobs due to the new super Kroger marketplace that was built across the street. When T & I are together we two bleeding hearts support Publix.
And based on the Tingu’s consumption rates, I think we make a impactful contribution to their bottom lines. I have heard stories from my Dad of how he ate 22 rotlis at one sitting and at 15, Tingu’s Uncle T, could polish off a 64oz T-bone with appetizers, sides, dessert and a whiskey. These family traits have both filtered through in a very dominant fashion on the Tingu.
He can easily eat an adult size portion of pasta, then a fruit, share a yogurt with Huns, have a popsicle, and finish off with a jam sandwich and a few glasses of milk. It is incredible and slightly worrying. Many things about the suburbs started to make sense after I had children. I have just reached the suburban enlightenment stage where I understand the beauty of a buffet. Not saying you will convince me to have a meal at the Golden Corral but I can understand the premise of that franchise.
Hunie on the other hand – well let’s say his new official nickname is “Snacks”. He highly prefers grazing to actual meals. The anthesis of French parenting but since I married an Englishman, I think that is considered all good. As for the Indian side, the motto is any food is good food – even when it is florescent orange, fried sugar (yum, Galabi!)
![]() |
| Snaklu a.k.a Hunie looking awfully guilty while attempting to hide a massive bag of marshmellows! He asked for just ten million pieces please. |
Even Tingu’s new fish ‘Guppy’, is a voracious eater, chomping away at everything. Hunie’s fish, 'Other Guppy' was not.
![]() |
| Guppy |
Anyway, Nature-boy Tings, found Og dead the evening of the dinner party and without much ado, flushed him (her) away. It was a far cry from a Cosby-show fish funeral. This was all in stride for the Tings and his circle of life business but I did ask T to hold off on breaking the news to Hunie, who was asleep by this time.
The next morning, as Hunie was barely down the stairs, Tingu ran up to him and shouted ‘Other Guppy is dead!’.
Huns just looked at him with big eyes and Tingu showed him (rather excitedly) how he and B flushed him down the toilet. Still the Hunie was uncharacteristically quiet. Tingu added that he might not actually be dead but that like Nemo he faked it to escape and be with his Daddy. Huh, nice touch, Tingu.
Hunie still said nothing, shrugged his shoulders as he left the bathroom and inquired what was for breakfast. That was the end of that for little Mr. Snacks.
I shouldn’t be that surprised as really Hunie was not interested in getting fish – he had his heart set on a duck or elephant. He was quite annoyed to find the pet store carried neither, but his Maashi then showed him rescue puppies. Hunie LOVED the puppies.
And has since continued his love affair with dogs. He pets random dogs. He asks me to pet random dogs with him. He loves chasing little puppies around a house. He pretends to be the character of the dog in his books. It is all really very cute…. and nice that he will have a puppy….. in Asia…..at his Mashi & Masa’s house. Who knows... they may throw in a peacock too.

No comments:
Post a Comment