Prior to the holidays, as we were leaving a party, a friend’s mom reminded me, rather casually, not to forget to update my ‘end of the decade’ diary.
End of the decade. The concept was interesting but the task would be monumental! I can barely get around to reminiscing about the last 8 weeks, let alone the last 10 years as I transitioned from single, grad student with a penchant for traveling to a wife and mother of two children in North Georgia (not to mention the other job outside the home!)
 |
| These jeans were definitely reminiscent of the earlier part of the decade! |
I tried to carve out the time to really reflect on this change but whenever I did I found myself much more inclined to want to focus on the next 10 years instead of the last 10.
What I do remember is that I celebrated 2000 wearing something entirely too skimpy for the freezing Toronto weather as I rang in the new year with some of my best college buddies. In what seems like a symbolic closing of the circle, we welcomed 2011 with equally chilly weather, though the years have at least added wisdom to my clothing choices.
 |
| Huns still loving to eat just about all things non edible. The sock covered mitten hands don't seem to be any deterrent at all. The oposoable thumb is really quite arbitrary when it comes to Huns and food. |
While we often contemplate moving, what I love, love,love about where we live is our neighbors. The kids had a blast rotating from house to house as we were snowed in for a historic 5 days!
The forced commune was wonderful as we enjoyed lounging at each other's homes living off popcorn and hot coco, watching the guys pull snow stunts, Rockwellish full-family snow ball fights and chill evenings by the fireplace watching movies, sipping wine and being forced to slow down, laugh, enjoy.
 |
| Look at that camouflage in action! |
 |
| The little munchkin looks like a character from Dr. Seuss |
I also came to the realization that Hunie (aka Baby Ringo) really needed a haircut. You may laugh at the photo below but it takes a certain skill to be able to fashion your kids haircut into the
wolverine! Just been corrected by my nerder half, that it is, in fact, the
vulcan haircut - conveniently linked for your reference!
 |
| Sorry Hundo - I really was going for a straight line! |
In contrast to the Hunie, Tings insists on going to the barbers where he charms the ladies and gets extra lollipops. He also has gotten into the habit of requesting cologne to be generously applied before leaving the home!
 |
| Tingu running away from the scene of Hunie's transformation! (ps. There is a reason why the Christmas decor is still up!!) |
The rest of the days were spent pretty much like this though the midnight oil started to burn as the workload from the office piled up like the snow outside our windows.
 |
| That is not Tings sitting on a box of diapers but in fact an iceberg. |
Note to 2011 future self: Spend more weeks like this.
1 comment:
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the haircut. Remind me to bring Brayden up to Chez Kannan for his next trim! I so enjoy reading your blog. It is great fun to see the boys playing together. I can't wait till Parker is a little older and can play iceberg with his big brother.
Post a Comment